A Christ Centered Family
In response to the current crises of families falling apart, John MacArthur writes,
“The only hope is for Christians to proclaim and reassert the divine standard from God’s Word–and especially to live it out in their own family lives. Christians must hold firmly to the distinctive biblical pattern for the family. And the church must begin again to articulate without fear or shame what the Word of God says about the family.” ~ Answering Key Questions About the Family
In order to have a family that brings glory and honor to God, you must first have a firm foundation on which to stand for the family – and that’s God’s Word! Here are some basics about the family as well as FREE resources for further study on the subject!
Husbands are to lead their family and love their wife. Family worship should begin with the husband. He needs to take responsibility for and lead his family.
He is the one responsible for his family’s spiritual growth. Many men do not lead their families like they should!
“Husbands, love your wives and do not be embittered against them.” ~ Colossians 3:19
“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” ~ Ephesians 5:25
“For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.” ~ Ephesians 5:23
Resources on Biblical Manhood/Being a Husband & Father:
- For Husbands Only by John MacArthur
- Counseling the Un-submissive Husband by The Biblical Counseling Coalition
- Divine Motivation for Husbands by The Biblical Counseling Coalition
- How To be a Man of Courage by Grace To You
Wives are called by Christ to love their husbands, love their children, and submit joyfully to their husbands. It’s not always easy but we are called to love and care for our family. Without the mother, a family would quickly fall apart.
“Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.” ~ Ephesians 5:22
Older women are to,
“train the young women to love their husbands and children” ~Titus 2:4
Resources on Biblical Womanhood/Being a Wife & Mother
- Like Mother, Like Father by The Biblical Counseling Coalition
- Winning Without a Word by The Biblical Counseling Coalition
- An Excellent Wife by Grace To You
- Hannah: A Godly Mother by Grace To You
Children are to obey and honor their parents.
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.” ~ Exodus 20:12
As parent who are trying to honor the Lord we must teach them how to obey us. The goal of our parenting is not to make our children obey us, but rather to learn obedience, self control, and to love the Lord.
“God calls you to exercise authority, not in making your children do what you want, but in being true servants – authorities who lay down your lives. The purpose of your authority in the lives of your children is not to hold them under your power, but to empower them to be self-controlled people living freely under the authority of God.” ~ Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp
Resources on Biblical Parenting:
- Your Child’s Greatest Need by John MacArthur
- Cultivating a Godly Child by John MacArthur
- Common Parent Traps by John MacArthur
Resources on Family in General:
- How Did This Happen? The Family Crises as a Theological Crises by Albert Mohler
- How Can We Rescue the Family? by John MacArthur
- The Father of Fathers by The Biblical Counseling Coalition
- The Fulfilled Family Series by Grace To You
- The Strategic Nature of Family Worship by Ernie Baker
- The Submissive Family by John MacArthur
- Answering the Key Questions About the Family by John MacArthur
- In Defense of the Natural Family by Albert Mohler
- A Christian Vision of Marriage and Family by Albert Mohler
- Family Traits by Wynn Kenyon