God intended marriage from the very beginning. Contrary to what some would like to think, marriage was not a result of the sinful fall of humanity. God established marriage in the perfect Garden of Eden. He made man in His image and then brought the woman Eve to him. God created marriage that day and intends it to be a lasting institution.
1) Marriage was instituted by God (Genesis 2:18, Matthew 19:4)
2) Marriage involves one woman and one man (Genesis 2, Matthew 19:4)
3) The marital union is intended for sexual relations (Mark 10:8), procreation (Genesis 1:28) and for raising the next generation (Proverbs 22:6).
4) Marriage is to reflect God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27)
5) Marriage is to be an illustration of the relationship between Christ and His Church (Ephesians 5:22-33)
- Wives are to submit to their own Husbands, as to the Lord (Ephesians 5:22)
- Husbands are to lovingly and sacrificially lead their wives as Christ leads and loves His Church and gave Himself up for it (Ephesians 5:26-29)
- Read more about the husband wife leading and submission realtionship: Marriage As It Was Meant To Be by Dr. John MacArthur
“Marriage is the capstone of the family, the building block of human civilization. A society that does not honor and protect marriage undermines its very existence. Why? Because one of God’s designs for marriage is to show the next generation how a husband and wife demonstrate reciprocal, sacrificial love toward each other”. John MacArthur, Marriage As It Was Meant To Be
Do you have any questions about marriage or God’s purpose for marriage? Please send us as email at: info (at) ABiblicalMarriage (dot) com